Urban Decay x Basquiat Gold Griot Palette | Swatches & Photos

8.10.2017
I recently posted a look on my YouTube channel with this palette & then I realized that I have yet to share this palette here! Which totally surprises me because I am OBSESSED with this packaging, design, and product in this palette! I enjoy taking photos of makeup products so let's get into it!
 I love the aesthetic of this packaging. And going to college for graphic design and sitting through several art history classes I feel like I have a special appreciation for a makeup brand to team up with an artist's estate to recreate some of their work into makeup. So this packaging was inspired by Basquiat's work titled "Gold Griot." I know that many people have hard time "getting" or "understanding" art, but Basquiat's style is called Neo-Expressionism. In my opinion, art isn't about "getting it" but actually FEELING it. With Neo-Expressionism, the subject matter is represented more raw and quick with bold colors and alot of texture and brush strokes. Neo-Expressionism isn't about representing the subject as clearly and accurately as possible, but to represent it in an emotional and expressive way that may give you new insight or perspective on it. And I think that Urban Decay and Basquiat's estate nailed it with this collection! They thought of all the little details and textures that they included in the entire collection's packaging.


These was the more neutral palette of the two palettes that were created for this collection. I knew that I would get use out of these colors and that there was enough variety to keep it fun and unique when creating eye looks. I think that they knocked these colors out of the park! It looks good with the packaging and makes sense as an eye palette. The formula is soft and smooth and easy to work with, while still being pigmented. And I kinda love these names!







Unfortunately, the Basquiat collection was limited edition, so you may have to search Ebay or similar sites to get your hands on this palette. But I enjoy looking at photos of makeup & thought I would give you a more detailed look at this palette if you've already checked out my YouTube video. If you haven't, you can go see the halo eye look I created here! I'm going to wrap this post up with some extra photos of the packaging, so I will see you in my next post! Let me know what you think about makeup brands collaborating with artists and if you picked up this palette!

No comments

Say hello.